Baltic Directory



fair Tallinn
Now : +7 °C
Min. : 0 °C
Max. : +6°C

fair Riga
Now : +8 °C
Min. : +1 °C
Max. : +10°C

cloudy Vilnius
Now : +10 °C
Min. : +2 °C
Max. : +12°C


 

Russian America Top

Our statistics



Liepaja

Liepaja Liepaja Liepaja

Liepaja


Webcam source: http://webcam.irliepaja.lv/


Liepaja


Liepāja (pronounced [liepaːja] ( listen)); German: Libau, Polish: Lipawa), is a city in western Latvia, located on the Baltic Sea directly at 21°E. It is the largest city in the Kurzeme Region and the third largest city in the country after Riga and Daugavpils. An important ice-free port, as of 1 July 2011, Liepāja had a population of 82,386.

Liepāja is known throughout Latvia as "The city where the wind is born", likely because of the constant sea breeze. A song of the same name (Latvian: "Pilsētā, kurā piedzimst vējš") was composed by Imants Kalniņš and has become the anthem of the city. Its reputation of Liepāja as the windiest city in Latvia was strengthened with the construction nearby of the largest wind power plant in the nation (33 Enercon wind turbines).

The Coat of Arms of Liepāja was adopted four days after the jurisdiction gained city rights on 18 March 1625. These are described as: "on a silver background, the lion of Courland with a divided tail, who leans upon a linden (Latvian: Liepa) tree with its forelegs." The flag of Liepāja has the coat of arms in the center, with red in the top half and green in the bottom.

The original settlement at the location of modern Liepāja was founded by Curonian fishermen of Piemare, and was known by the name Līva (from the name of the river Līva on which Liepāja was located. This term was derived from the Livonian word Liiv meaning "sand"). The oldest written text mentioning the name is dated 4 April 1253. The Livonian Order, under the aegis of the Teutonic Order, established the settlement as the village of Liba(u) in 1263. In 1418 the city was sacked and burned by the Lithuanians.

During the 15th century, a part of the trade route from Amsterdam to Moscow passed through Līva, where it was known as the "white road to Lyva portus". By 1520 the river Līva had become too shallow for easy navigation, and development of the city declined. /wikipedia.org/



Our friends:

Vestnik News - hot news from Canada and USA in Russian
Free Local Ads From Latvia and Israel

All webcams & other materials presented on this site are the property of their owners. If you consider, that we break your copyrights,please contact us
© 2005-2017 by Baltic Directory support team