Riga (Latvian: Rīga, pronounced [ˈriːɡa] is the capital and largest city of Latvia. With 696,618 inhabitants (January 2013), Riga is the largest city of the Baltic states and home
to more than one third of Latvia's population. The city is an important seaport and a major industrial, commercial, cultural and financial centre of the Baltic Sea region.
The city lies on the Gulf of Riga, at the mouth of the Daugava. Riga's territory covers 307.17 km2 (118.60 sq mi) and lies between 1 and 10 metres (3.3 and 33 ft) above sea level, on a flat
and sandy plain.
Riga was founded in 1201 and is a former Hanseatic League member. Riga's historical centre is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, noted for its Art Nouveau/Jugendstil architecture and 19th century
wooden architecture. The city will be the European Capital of Culture in 2014, along with Umeå in Sweden. The city hosted the 2006 NATO Summit, the Eurovision Song Contest 2003 and the 2006
IIHF Men's World Ice Hockey Championships. It is home to the European Union's office of European Regulators for Electronic Communications (BEREC). Riga is served by Riga International Airport,
the largest airport in the Baltic states.
Riga is a member of Eurocities, the Union of the Baltic Cities (UBC) and Union of Capitals of the European Union (UCEU).
Riga Central Station
Riga Central Station (Latvian: Rīgas Centrālā dzelzceļa stacija) is the name of the main railway station and the surrounding district in Riga city center. It is known as the main
point of Riga due to its location near Central Station, and most forms of public transport stop in this area. Central Station is bigger than just the square in front of the station;
it includes shops, public transport stops and various buildings.
The station was built in 1861 with the project of architect Johann Felsko. It was expanded in 1885 following the project of G. Shel. Two stations were running in 19th century — one
to Daugavpils and other towards Jūrmala. They were joined and reconstructed in 1914 and functioned until the 1960s. In 1960 the first station building was opened and in 1965 — a second one.
During the years, the station saw many reconstructions. /wikipedia.org/